My go to sources for inspiration are: Kinfolk Magazine, Monocle magazine, Zite app., and I know this sounds like a shameless plug but the Blend Images blog has fine art contributors that have daily posts about new artists that are fantastic.
I get fixated on specific subjects that take me down various paths for inspiration. I’m a huge Mid-Century modern fan and a member of the Los Angeles Conservancy.
- Julius Shulman (there are many other books of his work that are less expensive)
- Graphic design by Saul Bass
- Architecture by John Lautner, Neutra, Donald Wexler, E. Stewart Williams
Case Study Homes
- The movie A Single Man
- Alexander Girard hardcover book by Todd Oldham
- Just Kids by Patti Smith inspired a more in-depth view of the early days of 70’s punk/art in NY and their inspirations.
- Please kill me: An Oral History of Punk Rock
We asked Sarah about her wishlist for the holidays: Wishlist for Xmas — Sebastião Selgado: Genesis photo book. I had the opportunity to see the prints in person at the International Center of Photography, NYC in October. If I can’t get an actual print, the book is the next best thing!
If Santa is feeling generous I’ll take a Donald Wexler home in Palm Springs… I’ve been really good.
Sarah Fix, VP Creative and Member of Blend Images, LLC, is responsible for overall creative direction, marketing and photographer development. She began her career in stock photography in 1993 at Westlight and held prestigious posts at Corbis, Brand X and PictureArts before joining Blend Images. Sarah is currently serving as President of PACA/Digital Media Licensing Association and has lectured extensively about commercial content creation and stock library production in the United States and abroad.